The Homebased Classroom
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there is much uncertainty surrounding the 2020/21 school year. Many parents are opting to continue distance learning or homeschooling versus traditional classroom learning. There are pros and cons to both, but ultimately the best choice is up to the child and how they learn best. If you are considering distance learning, homeschooling or a model of education that involves your child spending most of their time in a home environment, it can be crucial to set up a place that helps them get in the right frame of mind for learning. A place that separates the “home classroom” from the “home” can help foster that shift in mental receptiveness to learning.
Feel like you may need a home classroom makeover? Below are some links with great tips, but may we suggest investing in a classroom rug? What better way to make a cozy and inviting learning environment in your home than with a cheerful educational rug? A kid’s rug can help create that dedicated space for learning. Depending on your focus, there are so many incredible designs you can choose from. There are alphabet and number rugs, nature themed rugs, outer space rugs, and just fun simple patterns. No matter what you choose, setting up a dedicated learning space is a great way to encourage your child to focus on their studies.
Celebrate Diversity in the Classroom, Curriculum Ideas
Recently we ran a contest for a rug give away. We asked teachers to tell us how they would use the World Character Classroom Rug in their curriculum. The World Character rug design was created from a collaboration of our best designers and has easily risen to the top of sales charts for the multitude of lessons that can be taught from it. From positive character traits, to human diversity, global awareness and geography. From this rug design we have spun off other designs that also promote diversity and good virtues.
It was unbelievably hard to choose a winner for this rug, because every teacher had such wonderful ideas of how they would use it in their curriculum. Below are some of the great ideas that were shared with us. These curriculum ideas are not only good for the World Character rug, but also for these other rug designs which also promote friendship and community in a diverse world:
Friends Together Friendship Rug
People Around the World Kid's Rug
- I enjoy promoting diversity in my classroom. The children holding hands around the globe is a great visual to spur conversations about embracing differences of people from all cultures.
- We always look to promote cultural proficiency with our students and celebrate everyone’s diverse backgrounds! Our EL students love to look at the world map to locate their home country and share something special about where they are from.
- My fourth graders would use the rug daily to learn about different cultures of the world. We would also use the rug to learn about and locate the continents and oceans of the world. The rug would be extremely motivational and encouraging.
- In our “All About Me Unit,” I would have the students compare themselves to the characters on the rug and we would read books about other cultures. The positive virtue words will be added to our classroom rules and we would have conversations of how to be kind and accepting of each other. At the end of our unit, the students will make their own hand prints out of construction paper add their hand prints and names to the wall by the rug with the virtue that is best exemplified by them throughout the month.
- This rug would help to teach my PreK students that even though we all look different on the outside we are all the same on the inside. We should treat each other with respect and we should treat each other the way we want to be treated. I could use the carpet as a visual for the students to share how we are different and the same.
- I teach first grade. In my district we put an emphasis on social/emotional learning and how to be a kind and caring member of our community. This rug would go great with our message to students and be helpful in teaching what it means to be kind, loving, and caring to everyone.
This was the winning entry:
One activity I would do with the rug is a hand print walk…I will have the children start on a hand and then move hand to hand while music plays. When the music stops, one by one they will read their hand trait. They can share examples and give comments to their friends about how they demonstrate the trait. This will continue to be played throughout the year and as the students demonstrate these traits, it will be celebrated. It will be wonderful to hear and see their progress of understanding and demonstrating these wonderful virtues that foster acceptance, empathy, and positivity in the classroom environment.
Congratulations to our winner of the World Character Classroom Rug give away!
Announcing the winner of our World Character classroom rug give away, Lindsay Boten!!
To enter our give away, we asked that teachers send us an email telling us how they would use this classroom rug in their curriculum.
Lindsay wrote, “One activity I would do with the rug is a hand print walk…I will have the children start on a hand and then move hand to hand while music plays. When the music stops, one by one they will read their hand trait. They can share examples and give comments to their friends about how they demonstrate the trait. This will continue to be played throughout the year and as the students demonstrate these traits, it will be celebrated. It will be wonderful to hear and see their progress of understanding and demonstrating these wonderful virtues that foster acceptance, empathy, and positivity in the classroom environment.”
Thank you to all who entered our rug give away contest!
May these be the only wild animals in the house
I had to share this cute note we got from a customer this morning! It really made my day and gave me a good chuckle! :) Thank you Molly, for your purchase of the Animal Doodles Rug!
Note to say that this was an *amazing* find as I begin to refurbish my family room into a one room school house for 5 elementary school kids as we navigate the new "normal" for virtual education. May these be the only wild animals in the house :)
Kidcarpet.com summer coupons are here!
Kidcarpet.com summer coupons are here!
The best priced children's rug store just got better!!
Did you know that KidCarpet.com has a sister company that offers awesome looking holiday themed area rugs?
That's right! HolidayRugsOutet.com offers the same high quality printing technology in holiday themes! These amazing looking rug designs are perfect for decorating your home or office! Visit us at www.HolidayRugsOutlet.com today! Happy shopping!